[OS X TeX] Invoking latex with tex + ghostscript option?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 8 17:02:37 CEST 2009

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 08:09:46 -0600, Robert Morelli <morelli at flux.utah.edu>
wrote:

> Using "latex" or "latex -output-format=dvi" both invoke pdflatex, just
> as if I'd written "pdflatex."

That is expected, only plain tex actually invokes classic tex these days.

The thing is: invoking the binary as latex should produce dvi output, if
it doesn't, then there is something else going on. A common culprit is a
check (either by you directly, or through one of the packages you load) to
see if pdflatex of plain latex is used. the `ifpdf' package implements the
appropriate checks, and should be used instead.

[snip]

> I don't use TeXShop. TeXShop has its own text editor but I generally use

> Emacs (or Aquamacs).
> I tried TeXShop once and it didn't read my $TEXMF* variables so didn't
> find my custom texinputs.
> It didn't seem worth fooling with.

If you are (still) using $TEXMF* variables to configure your tex &
friends, then there may be some (older) versions of packages in your
directories. These older versions may be invoking the older check for
pdftex.

Maarten