[OS X TeX] OT: Knuth humor

David B. Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, CFM drdbthompson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 04:01:16 CEST 2009

On 5 Jul 09, at 18:57 , Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Jul 5, 2009, at 9:22 PM, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't be surprised if many of the subscribers to this list
>> already know about xkcd, the web comic. Here is one in which Don
>> Knuth is part of the joke.
>
> His books were kinda intimidating, rapelling down through his
> skylight seemed like the best option.

I actually enjoyed this bit of xkcd. Interestingly, Young Son turned
me onto xkcd some time ago, but I don't keep up regularly. I'm going
to change that because I need a bit of intellectual humor in my life.

I like Knuth's books and used what I learned in them several times.
They were important to me so long ago when I was trying to construct
an algorithm for generating a large number of pseudo-random numbers.
It was my first exposure to Knuth, his writing, and ultimately his
typesetting language.

So, thanks Adam (and Alain) for making me remember this.

Best...

-=d