[OS X TeX] (no subject)

Adam M. Goldstein a.m.goldstein at mac.com
Sun Jan 25 19:24:14 CET 2009

On Jan 25, 2009, at 1:14 PM, Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD wrote:

>> I think schremmer would be much happier with Smultron as opposed to
>> emacs. Smultron is lightweight, has good search and replace, has
>> excellent syntax highlighting, better than TS I think, and you can
>> split windows in many ways; and you can use tabs to look at many
>> documents at once. I don't know how it works with syncing.
>
> He may be, but does Smultron preview within source, or split the pdf
> view? I have an older version, and there's not even a compile option
> I can find easily. Heck, while writing this, I downloaded the
> latest, and still can't find it. I really don't see the attraction
> to Smultron for LaTeX. TeXShop is much better. I don't see where the
> syntax highlighting of TeXShop falls short.
>
> As always, trying a number of different options is a good idea, but
> Aquamacs does address Alain's immediate desire right now.
>
> He will need Skim installed for previewing a completed PDF unless he
> then switches back to TeXShop (or goes through the hassle of setting
> TeXShop up as the previewer, which would probably just complicate
> things).

I suppose my suggestion was indeed to use TeXShop as the external
viewer. Then you compile by pressing "Typeset" on the preview window.
That seems to me easier than starting with emacs. I am pretty sure
it's just a matter of setting the preferences to do so, and opening
the ".tex" file rather than the ".pdf" TS will open the pdf and reload
it when it changes.

Smultron splits within the source. I think that's what the initial
thread was about. Although now that you mention it, I don't know if TS
splits the preview output.

A matter of taste about the highlighting---Smultron definitely takes a
more aggressive approach---highlighting more. There were many syntax
mistakes I caught that way, where TS would not have done the
higlighting.

-Adam
Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
agoldstein at iona.edu