[OS X TeX] Macintouch report on TeX versus Word

Jean-Christophe Helary fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp
Wed Jan 21 06:02:05 CET 2009

On mercredi 21 janv. 09, at 12:20, David Derbes wrote:

> My guess is that down the road we'll have an even more user-friendly
> version of LaTeX than we have now.

Don't forget about initiatives like LyX and also about the fact that
there are people who work on ODF <-> LaTeX bridges.

> Perhaps stupidly I believe that LaTeX is so superior that it too
> will be here indefinitely,

Although it looks a little bit weird to people who have never done any
markup by hand, any one who has typed a few HTML tags (and that is
potentially a huge lot if you consider that all the bloggers around
have access to the HTML representation of their articles) can
comfortably use LateX for trivial to moderately complex jobs.

I feel though that the mystery that surrounds TeX based processes
comes from the fact that even though everybody now is accustomed to
the "structure file + style sheet" of (ht|x)ml, TeX related
documentation still reads like such concepts are _soo_ inovative and
beyond what anybody can conceive. The systematic comparision between
TeX processes and "WYSYWYG" crap is getting seriously old.

I think a different approach is needed, something like TeX processes
are for the print world what XML is for the data/web world. Then "new"
people will start to get hooked.

Jean-Christophe Helary