[OS X TeX] Macintouch report on TeX versus Word

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 21 04:20:39 CET 2009

On Jan 20, 2009, at 7:54 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> On mercredi 21 janv. 09, at 10:13, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> Funny, I always thought I was an optimist … I still do not think
>> you are right. Macs are an infinitesimal part of the market to
>> begin with.
>
> Alain, they are not anymore.
>
> Recent surveys indicate that Appel machines have about 10% of the
> computer market share (by checking web access data). I can't find
> the reference anymore but Apple laptop sales were simply huge
> compared to the other makes, on the US market.
>
> http://www.tuaw.com/2009/01/02/apple-market-share-tops-10-windows-share-lowest-since-tracking/
>
>> OpenOffice was so bad to begin with it sure couldn't get worse.
>> And, on the Mac, it still is clunky. Not to mention NeoOffice.
>
> I use both for work. Clunky, but do we compare that to Word 2004 ?
> To me they compare very well (at least the 3.0 version of OOo and
> NeoOffice). I had to buy Office 2008 yesterday and it may be a
> different story here. But by the time a new version of Office is
> released, they will have catched up. I have no worry about that,
> their development model is so vastly different.
>
>> I don't think LaTeX is going to die, just that it severely risks
>> becoming a quaint hobby for the very few. Like, say, polar bears.
>> They won't die. There will always be a few in zoos.
>
> No, I think that markup languages are definitely not going to die,
> even if they are not XML dialects. They address a different kind of
> market.
>
> People who buy (and use) "Office Suites", especially the modern ones
> à la iWorks, are not in need of LaTeX. What they want is nice
> looking templates, text placeholders and a print button. There is a
> huge market for that. The rest of them are cheated into using the
> suites and when they find LaTeX, either they take the dive and they
> are thankful, or they find a way to manage their frustrations...

I remember when DOS (or its even earlier ancestor, CP/M) was all we
had for personal computers. Most people today do not use command line
interfaces. My guess is that down the road we'll have an even more
user-friendly version of LaTeX than we have now. Though I use Macs
exclusively, I don't really care what platform I use down the road,
only that it be reliable, affordable and intuitive. (Increasingly
true, IMHO, of Ubuntu and Mac OS X, increasingly not true of Windows.)

As Jean-Christophe wrote above, the Mac installed base is now in the
US about 10% in the US. I remember when it was about 3%, so I think
things are improving with respect to Apple. Apple laptops seem to be
the dominant platform on the ritzy US campuses these days (the Ivies,
U of Chicago, Johns Hopkins, Stanford, etc.) Part of this is the halo
effect of the iPod and IPhone, and part of it is frustration with
Windows-seeking viruses. Whether or not Apple or IBM or Microsoft
survive, I feel certain that personal computing is here to stay.
Perhaps stupidly I believe that LaTeX is so superior that it too will
be here indefinitely, though it might be in a form we would not
immediately recognize were we suddenly brought twenty years into the
future.

Maybe it's the Obama administration, but I'm optimistic about a lot of
things lately.

Best wishes, all.

David Derbes
U of Chicago Lab Schools