[OS X TeX] References across files

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 02:04:20 CET 2009

At 17:11 +0000 12/1/09, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> Suppose you are writing a novel about a family but you have not yet
> decided what the names of the various characters are.
> […]

 From the responses to the above, I solved half of my problem as
follows:

1) I have a style sheet, CheckableItems.sty with, for example:

	\usepackage{arrayjob}

\newarray\ChapV%In lieu of Chap5
\readarray{ChapV}{%
%1
Which is table of function?
&%2
Which is I-O Rule of function?
&%3
Which is graph of function?
…
}

2)Then I can have files including, say,

	\usepackage{paralist}
	\usepackage{CheckableItems}

\begin{asparaenum}%
\item%1
\ChapV(1)
\item%2
\ChapV(2)
item%3
\ChapV(3)
…
\end{asparaenum}

which typesets exactly what I need:

1. Which is table of function?
2. Which is I-O Rule of function?
3. Which is graph of function?
…

For the other half of the problem, though, I have no idea:

A) For each checkable item, the questions are all in one single file.
For example, the files corresponding to the above three checkable
items are:

QuestionBase/Chap5/1
QuestionBase/Chap5/2
QuestionBase/Chap5/3
…

B) In, say, an Exam file, the checkable items are then considered by
the probsoln package as follows:

\LoadFiles{2}{%
../QuestionBase/Chap5/1
,
../QuestionBase/Chap5/2
,
%../QuestionBase/Chap5/3
%,
…
}

where:
—most of the items are commented, like the third item above,
—the number of uncommented items is entered as the first argument of
\LoadFiles.

Thus, by commenting and uncommenting, one can choose which checkable
items to have on the exam.

C) However, in order to know what the checkable items are, they
really ought to be included as comments:

\LoadFiles{2}{%
%1 - Which is table of function?
../QuestionBase/Chap5/1
,
%2 - Which is I-O Rle of function?
../QuestionBase/Chap5/2
,
%%2 - Which is Graph of function?
%../QuestionBase/Chap5/3
%,
…

and the question Is whether anyone can think of a way to insert these
comments other than by copy-pasting each one by hand or of a
different system altogether. (I have now wasted quite a bit of time
without even coming near a workable idea.)

Forlorn regards
--schremmer