[OS X TeX] Re : Stupid question about the tabular environment

Adam M. Goldstein a.m.goldstein at mac.com
Sat Jan 17 23:55:21 CET 2009

On Jan 17, 2009, at 4:40 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2009, at 3:26 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> Actually, it's a bit counter intuitive since the inside margin
>>> (the one towards the binding) is smaller than the outside margin.
>>> I think the idea is that when the book is opened flat the outer
>>> margins and the space between the text boxes on the two pages
>>> should appear approximately the same width.

Also, I think the wide outside margins are intended to help the person
who will be holding the book while reading it; the extra margin on the
outside gives a way to do this without covering the text with his or
her fingers---a throwback, one might say, to a point in time at which
books were made for readability (some still are, of course) as opposed
to being cheap to manufacture.

Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
agoldstein at iona.edu
a.m.goldstein at mac.com