[OS X TeX] Stupid question about the tabular environment

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Jan 12 19:33:22 CET 2009

On Jan 12, 2009, at 12:00 PM, ewan.Delanoy at math.unicaen.fr wrote:

>                                     Hello all,
>
>            while the array environment produces an array that's
> (horizontally) centered inside
> the whole page by default,
> long tabulars tend to go to the right (at least this is the default
> with
> my current configuration).
>
>   Surely there is a simple command that makes the tabular perfectly
> centered
> inside the page ? All I could find in the LaTeX companion or
> elsewhere are
> about how data are laid out *inside* it, not about how it relates to
> the
> whole page.
>

>            TIA,
>
>                                    Ewan

Howdy,

If your tabular is wider than the line so it sticks out into the right
margin use

\makebaox[\textwidth]{put your tabular here}

or

\makebox[\textwidth][c]{put your tabular here}

where in the first form the c parameter is implicit while it's
explicit in the secodn form. That will center it left/right so it
sticks out equally in both margins.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)