[OS X TeX] OgreKit does not reactivate the file it just worked on

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 00:39:30 CET 2009

On Jan 9, 2009, at 6:15 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2009, at 4:14 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> My "QuestionBase" is now built from a single template of which I
>> "just" fill-in copies. But, occasionally, I think of an
>> improvement in the template and, in order to keep things in line,
>> I have to make the change in very many already filled-in copies of
>> the template.
>>
>> Obviously, this should be a matter for Applescript but is far
>> beyond my admittedly very low capabilities in that regard. So,
>> what I do is open, say, 20 or 30 or these copies at a time (I am
>> afraid of TeXShop conking out on me), and:
>>
>> 0. Click on the top file (in case file 1 is not yet active),
>>
>> 1. Click Find
>> 2. Click Replace
>> 3. Click on the top file (to reactivate file 1),
>> 4. Command S
>> 5. Command W
>>
>> Now file 2 is automatically on top and active.
>>
>> 1. Click Find
>> etc
>>
>> Step 3 is the rhythm breaker and is needed because, after the
>> search and replace, OgreKit does not reactivate the file it just
>> did the search and replace on.
>>
>> At least in my case, such automatic reactivation would make much
>> sense.
>>
>> What does the people think?
>> Should that be a suggestion to the powers who are?
>>
>> Curious regards
>> --schremmer
>
> Howdy,
>
> If you are always finding a single thing and replacing it by
> another single thing in the many files

I am

> and want to use this method you need only set the Find field and
> Replace field once.

That's what I have been doing.

> Do what you've been doing for the first file; then the Find and
> Replace fields are set. For the rest of the files just do a Find
> Next (Cmd-G)

That's what I have been doing but will now use Cmd-G instead

> and then use Replace (hmmm... no shortcut in TeXShop for that so go
> to System Preferences->Keyboard and Mouse->Keyboard Shortcuts [this
> exists in 10.4.11 too] and add a shortcut for TeXShop [you'll press
> the + at the bottom and choose all applications and then work your
> way to TeXShop] only. The menu name is Replace and Ctl-Cmd-G
> [others may give conflicts] should be the shortcut. After saving re-
> open TeXShop and check that the Replace menu item has Ctl-Cmd-G as
> its shortcut) via the (new) shortcut Ctl-Cmd-G.

If I understood, Ctl-Cmd-G will just be a shortcut for clicking on
Replace. But while that would certainly be nice,  the trouble is that
after I have clicked on Replace—or, presumably after I have done a
Ctl-Cmd-G, the OgreKit panel is what remains active so that I have to
do step 3. Click on the top file to reactivate it.

But, as I said a bit before, I am caving in and will try TextWrangler
the next time I think of an improvement to my template.

Grateful regards
--schremmer