[OS X TeX] texconfig?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jan 8 17:41:49 CET 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 9:59 AM, Vic Norton wrote:

> At the suggestion of TeX Live Utility I tried to do
>   updmap --syncwithtrees
> Unfortunately it can't work because my
>   /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/texconfig
> directory is empty. Any suggestions as to why nothing is in this
> folder and what I should do about it would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.  - Vic
>
> P.S. My TL2008 was installed from MacTeX-20080831.mpkg (1.15 MB).
>
> ### output ###
> ~$ updmap --syncwithtrees
> updmap: This is updmap, version 1211742332
> updmap: using transcript file `/Users/vic/.texlive2008/texmf-var/
> web2c/updmap.log'
> /usr/texbin/updmap: line 1370: /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/
> texconfig/tcfmgr: No such file or directory

Howdy,

did you ever try to run tlmgr to update your system? The intial
release of TeX Live (and therefore MacTeX), which is what you seem to
have, had a problem with tlmgr which could delete files unexpectedly.

You can try to download and use TeX Live Utility from <http://code.google.com/p/mactlmgr/downloads/list
 > (the Dec 30 build should work fine for you) and follow its
instructions.

Alternatively, MacTeX has just been updated and should be retrievable
from a CTAN site near you in a few days. You can also try to get it
from <http://www.tug.org/mactex/> when the date is January 7th
although the package there, dated December 29, has the updated tlmgr
and should be fine and easily updatable using TeX Live Utility as
mentioned above.

You can also follow the instructions at <http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/wiki/index.php?title=Image:TlmgrMacTeX.pdf&page=1
 > (just click on the document illustrated). This will give a way to
update tlmgr and then update your system via the command line.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)