[OS X TeX] Package inputenc warning: Error: Keyboard character used is undefined

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jan 8 15:53:58 CET 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 8:47 AM, Kuo-Hsien Chang wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I google this question and then some solutions did not solve my
> questions.
>
> I'm using TexShop under a Mac O.S. X
>
> The error showed in the TeXShop as below.
>
> Package inputenc warning: Error: Keyboard character used is undefined
> (inputenc)    in inputencoding 'utf8'. : :
> l.85 ... site range in the past 100 years from ^^B
>                                         8.2 degree C in January to...
>
> Thanks for your help and solution. Michael

Howdy,

It appears that you have an invisible, embedded Ctl-B (^^B) in your
file. Where did you get that file? Was it actually created in TeXShop?
Delete all the characters between the 8.2 through the end of from.

Can you create a minimal but complete, compilable file that gives this
error? Are you using UTF-8 input encoding in the file? Is the file
really stored as UTF-8?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)