Re: Documentation (was Re: [OS X TeX] Kanbun (漢文) and French...)

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 18:58:53 CET 2009

On Jan 4, 2009, at 12:32 PM, Martin Costabel wrote:

> Alain Schremmer wrote:
> []
>>> Let's not go overboard completely. You can perfectly write Franch
>>> and German and lots of other languages using Computer Modern.
>>> Just use LaTeX and \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
>> Just copied that in my TeXProvingGround file. LaTeX didn't object
>> but when I typed é, option e, e, it did.
>
> The encoding you choose in TeXShop or whatever editor you use must,
> of course, correspond to the option for the inputenc package. If
> you write in unicode, choose utf8, if you write in macosroman,
> choose applemac, and if you write in isolatin1, choose latin1.

My problem is that I originally spent an inordinate amount of time
just setting up a LaTeX installation and that each time I changed
anything wasted a lot more time doing repairs. Which is THE reason I
am still with 10.4.11

So, I have no idea what inputenc package I am using, do not know how
to find out other than I would have to use the terminal and have no
time learning about that. I don't know what unicode is, nor what
macosroman or applemac is etc.

I just want to work on the magnum opus.

As mentioned before, as far as I am concerned all is well—except for
system changes about which nobody can do anything anyway.

But in Helary's I recognize my own frustration when I first started
and my reaction to what I perceived as a "all is well in the best of
all possible LaTeX worlds" mentality on the part of the "members of
the club". That got me almost flamed—which would have been a first on
this list.

And yes, things have changed. I downloaded MacTeX without a problem
and the only reason I reverted to using gwTeX is that with whatever
MaXTeX installed, I get again the "openout_any" error which Voisin
taught me how to fix with the terminal but which was painful enough
that, as long as I can avoid it … But the TeX distribution panel is
GREAT and the reversion was one click.

Regards
--schremmer