Re: Documentation (was Re: [OS X TeX] Kanbun (漢文) and French...)

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 06:00:59 CET 2009

On Jan 3, 2009, at 8:54 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> If it uses the default Computer Modern (for whatever reason)

The reason, I think, is historical. Computer Modern was developed by
Knuth and, to quote Companion 2ed, "until the early 1990s,
essentially only those fonts were usable with TeX". As far as I know,
it is what I am still using. (But then I don't really care about
fonts.) Page 346 of Companion 2 ed, though, has a subsection entitled
"Changing the default text fonts".

>  it _is_ making a design choice.

I beg to disagree. It is just a default value. By your logic, a TeX
installation ought to come without any preset font. I sure would have
hated that when I first started with LaTeX. There was enough that I
didn't understand without having to deal with fonts.

> It seems to me that making things uselessly obfuscated to be able
> to type a few French accents (or other latin characters, since
> Latin seems to be the default in Computer Modern) is also a design
> choice.

This is the first time I hear about anyone having difficulties with
accents in French or Italian or Spanish. For that matter, I tried to
read Companion 2 ed on the subject but didn't go anywhere. The
setting of the default language would appear to be somewhere deep
down. But what I don't understand is that LaTeX is used in France
fairly widely and I can't believe that everyone there went through
the same hassle.

Whatever is wrong though, and if I understand your frustration, may I
say that letting it show doesn't exactly entice people to try to help
you.

> Since I renamed this subthread "Documentation", I'd like to mention
> that when one checks the XeteX top page there is no link to any
> documentation set. The only reference there is is a one liner
> bellow the screenshots, like at the bottom of the second screen of
> data (for a reasonably sized browser window).

Ditto.

> The download page, similarly, puts the download links on the second
> screen, while the first screen indicates an obsolete "latest version".

Ditto

> I eventually bumped into the documentation by googling "xetex
> documentation", because the current page layout does not make it
> obvious at all where one can find it. But more that that, the
> simple preamble that made it work was found in the XeteX article on
> Wikipedia...
>
> Talk about "design choices" !!!

Ditto^2

>>> I have just created (copy-pasted from the XeteX CJK sample) a new
>>> command:
>>>
>>> \newcommand{\cjk}[1]{{\fontspec[Scale=0.9]{Hiragino Mincho Pro}#1}}
>>>
>>> for Japanese strings that appear within French sentences.
>>>
>>> But how can I be sure that the font I set for CJK is of the same
>>> style as Times (the one I choose as the main font) for ex ?
>>
>> It's not clear to me what it would mean for a Japanese font to be
>> "of the same style as" a Latin one.
>
> Well, it is not clear to me either. But obviously, latin character
> in Times and Japanese characters in Osaka would not look like they
> belong together, unless it is a "design choice".

I don't get it.

Regards
--schremmer