[OS X TeX] [ANN] TeX Live Utility 0.5

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sat Jan 3 05:48:21 CET 2009

On Jan 2, 2009, at 8:55 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> So the PATH that is printed in the console pane on my system
>
> PATH = "(
>    "/usr/bin",
>    "/bin",
>    "/usr/sbin",
>    "/sbin",
>    "/usr/local/bin",
>    "/usr/texbin"
> )"
>
> is dynamically generated not a fixed list. Nice!

Yes, that last path is based on the value set in prefs (it always has
been), and the idea was that you could use TLU with a non-MacTeX TeX
Live install.  As of TLU 0.5, though, the first part is from /etc/
paths instead of the PATH variable inherited at launch.  This avoids
doing insecure things like prepending to PATH or trying to guess at
the contents of environment.plist.

It works in my testing, but my systems are fairly clean.  Other
variables inherited from environment.plist can likely screw things up,
but there's now a reminder printed to help avoid length guessing games.

--
Adam