Documentation (was Re: [OS X TeX] Kanbun (漢文) and French...)

Jean-Christophe Helary fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp
Sat Jan 3 03:55:31 CET 2009

Thanks to Wikipedia,
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/XeTeX

I was able to get Texshop/xetex to work together and properly display
my French accents...

The article suggests the following code:

> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \usepackage{xunicode}
> \usepackage{xltxtra}
> \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Lucida Sans Unicode}

But of course, the last command did not work...

> (/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/
> fixltx2e.sty))kpathsea: Invalid fontname `Lucida Sans Unicode',
> contains ' '
>
> ! Font \zf at basefont="Lucida Sans Unicode" at 10.0pt not loadable:
> Metric (TFM)
> file or installed font not found.
> \zf at fontspec ...ntname \zf at suffix " at \f at size pt
>                                                   \unless \ifzf at icu
> \zf at set@...
> l.5 ...font[Mapping=tex-text]{Lucida Sans Unicode}
>
> ?

So I just removed that line and I managed to get the French displayed.

Now, I suppose I'm going to have to dig further into commands to
typeset the rest of the French, and then study a little more to get
the kanbun to work with all that...

Why did it take me 2 days to get the above 4 lines of code ???
(Genuine question.)

Where is the documentation in the MacTex package that tells me how to
get a simple French text to properly display with the tools included
in the distribution ?

Jean-Christophe Helary