[OS X TeX] Input encoding question

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Fri Feb 20 09:21:31 CET 2009

On  20 Feb, 2009, at 01:51, Richard Koch wrote:

> Axel,
>
> I'll stop writing after this short response, so don't worry about an
> unending thread!

On the contrary ---I'm sorry for causing apparently useless noise!

> [...]
>
>> For sure LaTeX will understand applemac, but the thing is, will
>> future TeX editors understand it?
>
> Almost surely editors will not be a problem. I know the Mac best
> [...].

Of course you do! That's without question! TeXShop and other
mathematical applications you have created attest to that!

My concern is with non-Mac future TeX editors. ASCII was a solution
for many, many people using TeX around the world, but now that we are
becoming accustomed to typesetting non-ASCII characters directly, I
think the encodings that prevail are mostly latin{1,9} or utf-8, even
for people using Macs.

But then again, I don't really have the knowledge to question people's
decision about preferred input encodings.

My very best ---and sorry again.

Axel