[OS X TeX] Extraneous text with \includegraphics

Rob Preuss rpreuss at bbn.com
Mon Feb 16 22:27:21 CET 2009

Gary,

I found the problem. My header contained the line:

\setkeys{Gin}{width=\columnwidth-80pt,keepaspectratio}   % global settings

Changing this to:

\setkeys{Gin}{width=\columnwidth,keepaspectratio}   % global settings

eliminated the extraneous text.

Thanks for the other tips as well.

Rob

>On Feb 15, 2009, at 2:38 PM, Rob Preuss wrote:
>
>>Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm baffled.
>>
>>Whenever I include a PDF figure with code such as
>>
>>\begin{figure}[t]
>>\begin{center}
>>\includegraphics{Fig1}
>>\caption{My Figure}\label{fig:one}
>>\end{center}
>>\end{figure}
>
>You should be using the following structure to avoid the insertion
>of extra vertical space:
>
>\begin{figure}[t]
>\centering
>\includegraphics{Fig1}
>\caption{My Figure}\label{fig:one}
>\end{figure}
>
>>Latex prints the text "-80pt-" above the figure
>>and the text "80pt" to the left of the figure.
>>
>>The figure was created using Preview to convert
>>and then crop a postscript file. If I omit the
>>line "\includegraphics{Fig1}" I do not get this
>>extra text, but I also don't get the figure.
>
>Can you post the original Postscript file as well as the offending PDF?
>
>-- Gary
>

>----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
>TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
>TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/

| Dr. Robert D. Preuss (Rob)      | BBN Lead Scientist     |
| BBN Technologies                | Voice:    617-873-3773 |
| 10 Moulton Street, Mail Stop 1A | Fax:      617-873-2918 |
| Cambridge, MA 02138-1171  USA   |                        |
|    <http://www.bbn.com/>        | Email: rpreuss at bbn.com |