[OS X TeX] XeLaTeX from TeXShop

Red Roo redrooz at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 7 01:39:48 CET 2009

--- On Fri, 2/6/09, Thomas Käufl <kaeufl at ira.uka.de> wrote:
> Am 6. Feb 2009 um 17:41 schrieb Red Roo:
>
> > On Fri Jan 16 17:50:51 CET 2009 Peter Vamos P.Vamos
> wrote:
> >
> > I tried running the XeLaTeX example from p. 54 of the
> above AMS article with TeXShop 2.18, but it fails to find
> the Garamond Premier Pro font. ...
>
> the font Garamond Premier Pro is not contained in Mac OSX.
> If you have not installed this font, the example will not
> work. The same applies to the font Bickham.
>
> Today, I tried this example too. I replaced Garamond by
> Baskerville and Bickham by Zapfino.
>
> So part of the preamble specifying the fonts looks like
>
> \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Baskerville}%{Garamond
> Premier Pro}
> \setmonofont[Scale=MatchLowercase]{Courier}
> \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text,
> Scale=MatchLowercase}
> \setsansfont{Lucida Grande}%{Helvetica Neue}
> \newfontfamily{\Zap}{Zapfino}

And very nicely done too, if I may say so.

That's my point. It is bad form for the AMS author to show off new concepts (XeLaTeX in the case) with latent assumptions (e.g., having certain commercial fonts available) such that when an innocent/naive reader (the most likely audience; otherwise why write it in the first place) tries running the XeLaTeX example in MacTeX/TeXShop (which is beautifully integrated and capable of doing so at the push of a button), only to have it fail!

Using these standard Mac fonts, illustrates the point of XeLaTeX without getting distracted by unnecessary font complications. That can all come later.

That said, it wasn't a total waste of time (from my original objective) because I did discover that the Apple-supplied MacOS fonts are in the root dir /Library/Fonts/ (not ~/Library/...). Even nicer, clicking on the font filenames allows you to see a preview of characters in that font (in most cases).