[OS X TeX] XeLaTeX from TeXShop

Red Roo redrooz at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 17:41:15 CET 2009

On Fri Jan 16 17:50:51 CET 2009 Peter Vamos P.Vamos wrote:
> Members of this list might be interested in reading this article by
> George Gratzer, no stranger, in the January issue of the AMS Notices
>
>     <http://www.ams.org/notices/200901/tx090100052p.pdf>
>
> Part I: Breaking Free. Editor's note: This is the first of a series
> of columns updating the mathematical community about some current
> developments in TeX and TeXing.

I tried running the XeLaTeX example from p. 54 of the above AMS article with TeXShop 2.18, but it fails to find the Garamond Premier Pro font. I had the impression from both the AMS article and the installation instructions for MaxTeX.mpkg of Jan 8, 2009, that this would work 'out of the box.' What do I need to do?

This looks like a pathing problem. If I replace to the Garamond with Times Roman, it typesets fine. I am explicitly typesetting with the XeLaTeX menu option and UTF-8 encoding. The platform is MacOS X 10.5.6 (Leopard) on an Intel Macbook.