[OS X TeX] Lucida

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Feb 4 15:04:47 CET 2009

On Feb 3, 2009, at 10:56 PM, George Gratzer wrote:

> I reinstalled the system and it wiped out Lucida...
>
> I installed everything in
>
> local/texlive/texmf-local
>
> as per instruction (TUG):
>
> TeX systems generally come with thousands of support files, arranged
> in
> a "tree" of directories.  When you install TeX, you generally set up a
> "local" tree, for your own macros and other files.  For example, it
> might be the directory c:\localtexmf on Windows or
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local on Unix.  It might be entirely empty.
>
> Ran the sudo command
>
> sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map
>
> to no avail.
>
> I suspect that I spent half an hour building the wrong tree. Should
> it have been
>
> local/texlive/2008/texmf
>
> instead?
>
> GG

Howdy,

No, /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/ is the correct tree. Where did you
put the map file? In earlier, teTeX based, distributions it was in one
place while in TeX Live based distributions (i.e., MacTeX 2008) it is
should be in texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips/bh/.

You also might try to disable the map and then re-enable the map,

sudo updmap-sys --disable lucida.map
sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map

Oh... make sure you run

sudo mktexlsr (or sudo texhash)

so the files will be found although I think updmap-sys does that
automatically (unless you use the --nohash option).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)