[OS X TeX] fontenc documentation...

Jean-Christophe Helary fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp
Sun Feb 1 17:47:43 CET 2009

Basically, my problem is that according to:

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=why-inp-font

The area covered by fontenc is pretty much also covered by inputenc.

Also, the FAQ says that "only fontenc has the means to convert [\'e]
into the T1 character", but I just found that in Texshop I could type
\'e without _any_ fontenc preamble and LaTeX was still able to process
that...

Considering that I'm thinking about people who _won't_ type such
sequences, but rather "é" directly, what is the preferred/more modern/
more intuitive choice. fontenc or inputenc ? I'd personally go for
inputenc if I understood all the implications...