[OS X TeX] problem TeX Live Utility

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Dec 28 15:24:08 CET 2009

On Dec 28, 2009, at 6:19 AM, Sr Sur wrote:

> Thanks Herbert!!!
>
> I installed TL'09 without problems and TL utility works with no problem.
>
> I have another cuestion. Which is the server that I've to connect?? there
> are different. All of them are good? some better?.
>
> greetings!!

Howdy,

The default server is actually a mirror that will try to help distribute the load while trying to pick a server that is close to you and active (no, I don't know the algorithm it uses). There are quite a few servers listed in the pop-up menu of servers in TeX Live Utility->Preferences. There is also a list of CTAN servers at <http://ctan.org/tex-archive/CTAN.sites> although I don't believe all are available for TeX Live updates. If you want to go to a fixed server for one near you and see if it's on the pop-up list. You can also see what server(s) are being chosen by the mirror by examining the output in the status window when you are updating.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)