[OS X TeX] CocoaSpell/Leopard

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Dec 22 17:38:49 CET 2009

On Dec 22, 2009, at 10:13 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> My cocoaspell installation seems broken. I removed it, reinstalled it and here is what I get now,  depending on the dictionary I choose:
>
> --Using "English [variant_0](Aspell)", *all* english words are marked as mispelled, with the sole exception of latex commands.
>
> --Using "English (United States) [w_accents] (Aspell)", *no* word is flagged (i.e spelling check does not work).
>
> --Using "U.S. English", I get normal OS spell checking (typos and latex commands are flagged).
>
> For these experiments I am changing dictionary through the menu, Edit/Spelling and Grammar/Show Spelling and Grammar (or command+:) and choosing a dictionary from the pulldown menu.  On the other hand, in Preferences/Language and Text/Text/Spelling, the dictionary was set to  "English (United States) [w_accents] (Aspell)" and was not changed. The multiple places for specifying dictionaries (in the spelling window of the application, and separately in preferences) is most confusing.
>
> In the attached screenshot the word "coefficient" is flagged and the suggestions include, "coifing", "Fascist", and ..."loveseat". As word associations these are brilliant, but I want my spleling back!
>
> Themis

Howdy,

I've got `English' checked off (in left hand window) --- it says `English [variant_0]' in the Name window on the right --- in the CocoAspell Preference Pane and `English (Aspell)' chosen in the Spelling pop-up menu in the Language & Text->Text Preference Pane. Finally I have the `English (Aspell)' dictionary chosen in TeXShop's (actually any app that uses the Apple Framework) Edit->Spelling and Grammar dictionary pop-up menu.  It all seems to work fine here.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)