[OS X TeX] Still Struggling with Indexes

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Dec 17 01:23:09 CET 2009

On Dec 16, 2009, at 5:52 PM, Sam Bradley wrote:

> Folks, I am still having problems generating indexes.  I have attached a minimal example tex source file as well as resulting log and idx files.  If my minimal example works for all of you and not me, then I am left feeling that my recent MacTeX-2009 installation did not install correctly.  If there is some specific program/utility that should be present on my system, I will be happy to search for its existence. Thanks.  Sam.....
>
> <TestIndexing.tex><TestIndexing.idx><TestIndexing.log>
>
> =================================
> Sam Bradley
> Vicksburg, MS
> sam.bradley at me.com

Howdy,

Ummm... did you ever run makeindex? It compiled fine here.

If you're using TeXShop you can enable engines that use latexmk which will automatically run (xe/pdf)latex then bibtex and/or makeindex and finally (xe/pdf)latex as many times necessary to resolve all cross-references (with a final run through dvips and ps2pdf if you're running latex).

Go to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk/ and see the instructions for activation and use. Basically, once the engines are activated, you use them by picking the engine name from the pop-up menu on the toolbar of the source or preview window or, better, by putting the line

% !TEX TS-program = pdflatexmk

to run latexmk compiling with pdflatex (use xelatexmk to use xelatex and latexmk to use latex).

I simply put the line above at the top of the file you sent and then simply typeset (Cmd-T). It ran pdflatex, makeindex and the pdflatex one more time to generate the index. On more complicated documents it will run other programs and maybe multiple runs of pdflatex.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)