[OS X TeX] Re: Mac BasicTeX2009 difficulties - solved!

Joachim Osnabryg osna at jpberlin.de
Wed Dec 16 16:41:12 CET 2009

Am 16.12.2009, 00:29 Uhr, schrieb Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com>:
> There is a missing font. Not sure how to tell tlmgr (or TLU) what to
> install.

You was right with "missing font". I posted my problem then to
de.comp.text.tex and got an answer from Ulrike Fischer saying:

»ppl ist palatino und dir fehlt offensichlich die Schrift "an sich"
(die pfb-Datei) ... Also suche als erstes nach einem Paket "palatino"
oder... oder so was ähnliches und installiere es.«
[…search for "palatino"… and install it.]

I did this with success and reacting to the remaining LaTeX errors I did a
search over the yet existing (full) TeXLive 2008 directory
~/usr/local/texlive/2008/, by this finding the subdirectory of the
package, and with it the name to search with tlmgr to install the

After 3 or 4 additional packages I could run - on BasicTeX-2009 - with
success the tufte sample-handout.tex! I say this also for whome is
thinking about installing BasicTeX instead of MacTeX.

So far, my problem is solved and I came back the next time I remaine
stumped with BasicTeX-2009…

Am 16.12.2009, 01:14 Uhr, schrieb David Watson <dewatson at me.com>:
> For your edification, I have included my .log from running the
> sample-handout.tex through TeXShop/MacTeX 2009.

Thanks for this too. After the actions described above, I ran the
sample-handout.tex in TeXworks and the .log has 877 rows, your's about
180. I don't know why, perhaps different versions of the
sample-handout.tex or of the tufte-latex installation (mine is 3.5.0)
meanwhile. Nevertheless there are similarities, even in the warnings … And
at least my resulting pdf is exellent.

Happy after three straining days,
joachim
--
Mac BacicTeX 2009 - TeXShop 2.29 / TeXworks 0.2.3
LyX 1.6.5 - MacBook Pro intel OSX 10.4.11 Tiger