[OS X TeX] New iMac

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 03:41:29 CET 2009

On Dec 3, 2009, at 1:38 AM, Michael Sharpe wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2009, at 10:20 AM, George Gratzer wrote:
>
>> Thanks Herb, Dick, and others, it worked.
>>
>> So now I typeset the book I am writing. About 500 pages with
>> hundreds of illustrations.
>>
>> Typesets in the Terminal in 2.135 seconds.
>>
>> For me, this is unbelievable.
>>
>> GG
>
> And, as another reference point, 25 years ago, I was writing a book
> on a Mac Plus, and delighted to get a beautiful page of output
> every 45 seconds. That means a factor of about 10^4 in 25 years,
> which equates to an annual increase of processing speed of close to
> 45%.

I was delighted ... with my Mac 256 running MacWrite, MacDraw, Mac
Paint and, wonders of wonders, the ImageWriter.

And I wonder if my current delight LateXing 542 pages in 50 seconds
on a PPC 10.4.11 is any stronger.

The outputs of course do not compare and I will take the LaTeX ...
with delight. But the wonder of MacWrite!

Regards
--schremmer