[OS X TeX] font cache bug

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Dec 4 00:25:23 CET 2009

On Dec 3, 2009, at 4:46 PM, Samuel Lelievre wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently read about the font cache bug on the mactex website,
> http://www.tug.org/mactex/2009/fontcache/fix-font-cache-bug.html
> and having understood from what I read that it was now fixed,
> I decided to update from TeX Live 2007 to to TeX-Live 2009 just
> for the sake of that. However I still see manifestations of the
> font cache bug quite often...  Could it be because of using the
> lmodern package?  (have the lmodern fonts been decontaminated?)
>
> Regards,
> Samuel

Howdy,

The applications and fonts supplied with MacTeX(TeX Live)-2009 have been fixed so they shouldn't give rise to the font cache bug any more.

What OS version and which program are you using that makes you suspect the font cache problem is plaguing your system? Some folks are saying that OS X 10.6 has some problematic fonts that have given rise to all sorts of problems with crashing applications, etc. I've seen some problems when using xe(la)tex and some of those system fonts after updating to 10.6.2. I used the Combo updater and the crashing of xetex stopped and doing a Safe Boot (hold the Shift Key down until the login screen shows up---it will say Safe Boot on the screen) seemed to have cleared out some left over system font caches (and other stuff too...you have to live with the OS thinking applications are being run for the first time and files opening with the wrong application for a while as you slowly reset everything) and I haven't had a problem since.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)