[OS X TeX] Syntax coloring of .dtx files

Vincent Verfaille vvvvlists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 21:02:41 CEST 2009

Dear all,

Currently updating the .dtx file of a package I wrote, I am spending
most of my time commenting/uncommenting, because the edition process
is easier with the so-nice syntax highlighting function of Teshop.
However, this process is long (uncomment, edit, re-comment,  run
LaTeX, check; iterate) and a potential source of error (edited tex
that is not commented back will appear in the class source code).

Would any of you know by chance an editor (or better: an extension to
TeXshop) that allows to see a .dtx file with proper syntax
highlighting (for instance with a slightly different background for
the documentation code), or any other tricks to make the edition
process lighter?

Best,

Vincent Verfaille

PS: reminder (from my own understanding): in a .dtx file, both the
documentation and the generated file(s) appear in the same code...
The generated code appears "normally" (ie uncommented) between:
________
%<*example.cls>
%\begin{macrocode}
[latex commands]
\newcommand{\foo}{bar}
Hello \foo{} world
%\end{macrocode}
%</example.cls>
________

In the documentation, the text is commented out (in which case the
"comment" symbol for commented items in the documentation is for
instance ^^A:
________

%^^A Section 1
%\section{First impressions}
%
% This is my wonderful documentation that, unfortunately,
% I am having trouble to quickly look at and edit because of
% the comment signs at the beginning..
%
%\section{Help!!!}
%
% Any ideas/comments would be appreicated.
________
and latex stripped out by DocStrip when generating files such as
the .ins, .cls, .