[OS X TeX] TeX on Snow Leopard

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 12:49:00 CEST 2009

> Thanks for this information. Unfortunately, while TeXShop is still
> finding the TeX binaries on my system since I installed Snow Leopard,
> the terminal is not finding commands such as texhash, updmap etc, even
> after completing all the steps below. It keeps saying "Command Not
> Found".
>
> I'm therefore going to have to stay on TeX-Live 2007 for the time
> being. (I have a large collection of non-standard fonts so I need
> updmap etc to work. So much for my attempt at a big-bang upgrade.)
> I've tried some complex test files and they all seem to work with
> TeXShop 2.26, TeX-Live 2007 and Snow Leopard.
>
> Kind regards,
> Luci

I believe this just means that you don't have /usr/texbin in your PATH.
I found that I had the same problem and it was solved that adding it
back: since my shell is tcsh, I just created a .tcshrc file in my home
directory, and put "set path = ( /usr/texbin $path )" inside it (no
quotes, of course).
Most people seem to use the bash shell, which is the default. A
similar operation can be done for it, although the syntax is
different. Create a .bashrc file (if you don't have it already) and
put inside it a line containing
"export PATH=/usr/texbin:$PATH". Then try and open a new terminal
window and see if it works. You can also type "echo $PATH$ to see what
your current PATH variable looks like.

Luis Sequeira