[OS X TeX] Long line in \description environment

Manuel libros at limay.de
Sun Aug 23 16:50:10 CEST 2009

Good morning. I am working on a document with this format:

\documentclass[article,twocolumn,a4]{memoir}
\usepackage[spanish]{babel}

\begin{document}

...text of the document...

\begin{description}

\item[no problem here] nor here

\item[no problem here] nor here

\item[a long line of text here] no problem here

\item[no problem here] nor here

\item[no problem here] nor here

\end{description}

...further document text...

\end{document}

The longer line is not broken in two, but continues and "exits" the
page at the right side.

The solution poposed by Themis does work (see Re: "line break within
\item of \description"):

\begin{description}

\item[] \textbf{Asociación Castellano Leonesa de Afectados de
Retinosis Pigmentaria} …further information…

item[] \textbf{Asociación de Padres de Sordociegos de España
(APASCIDE) Barcelona} …further information…

\end{description}

but since it is only one item which causes the problem here, the
different indentation stands out and the second line looks even
worse. As Peter Dyballa points out (see  "hypenation of description
list"):
> There are a few environments where hyphenation is switched off. The
> description environment is not meant to contain so much text that it
> spreads over a few lines.

But this is bound to happen in any two-column document when the text
within the square brackets is not very short (and in this case it is
only a 22-letter second line). I wonder if there is any simple way to
produce a second line other than -\\ , which was ignored.

Thanky you,

Manuel