[OS X TeX] broken tex distribution

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Aug 10 14:43:44 CEST 2009

On Aug 9, 2009, at 11:34 PM, Shawn Allgeier wrote:

> My TeXshop stopped working.  When I try to compile I receive the
> following message:
> -----
> Can't find required tool
> (null) does not exist. Perhaps TeXLive was not installed or was
> removed during a system upgrade. If so, go to the TeXShop web site
> and follow the instructions to (re)install TeXLive. Another
> possibility is that a tool path is incorrectly configured in TeXShop
> preferences. This can happen if you are using the fink teTeX
> distribution.
> -----
> I tried deleting my old distribution (2007) and upgrading to 2008
> since it was time.  I still receive the same message.  Is something
> configured incorrectly between the front and back ends?
>
> -Shawn

Howdy,

What do you get if you execute

which pdflatex

in Terminal? If nothing then something messed up the /usr/texbin
symlink. Do you have a /Library/TeX/ folder? What distribution does
the TeX Distribution System Preference Pane say is active? What is the
(pdf)TeX Path Setting in TeXShop->Preferences->Engine->Path Settings?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)