[OS X TeX] Problem with aspell

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Aug 4 17:27:45 CEST 2009

On Aug 4, 2009, at 9:33 AM, Jimi wrote:

>> I am converting from 10.4 PPC to 10.5 INTEL.  I just installed the
>> MacTex 2008 package and downloaded MacTextras.  Because I had used
>> ispell/aspell for text files and in my alpine mailing program, I
>> installed aspell.  I cannot get it to work.
> I have always wondered why should one use a third party spell-
> checker? Why not use the built-in checker? Has aspell any advantages?
>
> Thanks for any tips or links.
> Jimi

Howdy,

Absolutely! Excalibur and cocoAspell (which uses aspell) can be
programmed to skip over commands and arguments (e.g., column
specifiers for a tabular environment) that are meaningless. You'll
never get all the individual possibilities into Apples Spell checker
although you will eventually get many of the cases you use so it gets
good enough.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)