[OS X TeX] OT: Scanners, OCR, searchable pdf files, Acrobat Pro 9

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Aug 3 01:00:40 CEST 2009

A few days ago I bought the Fujitsu S1500M document scanner for
digitally archiving my handwritten lecture notes and also printed
documents, and in the process I also experimented with the OCR
capabilities of Acrobat Pro 9.

The S1500M lived up to the high expectations I had because of the
raving reviews, it works quickly and the results are excellent:
several scanning modes can be predefined including duplex scanning,
resolutions, OCR, ...

OCR of course works only for printed documents. For scans of
handwritten notes I usually add a front page (using pdflatex and
pdfselect) with some keywords. In Acrobat Pro 9 one can also add
Bookmarks for easier navigation.

I have many pdf files of scanned old journal articles which are not
searchable, but in Acrobat Pro 9 these files can be made searchable
after specifying a language. A 42 pages mathematical paper was OCRed
in less than a minute. A check (including Spotlight) worked fine.

In short the S1500M is a beauty.

Claus