[OS X TeX] Re: Question about a runaway argument (Peter Dyballa)

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Apr 22 23:13:18 CEST 2009

On 23/04/2009, at 5:28 AM, David Kaplan wrote:

> Trashing all aux files worked.  However, this problem reappears.
> Does this mean that each time
> I need to go in an trash all of the aux files?

No. It means that something gets written incorrectly into the .aux file.
Until you find and fix this, then "yes", you'll need to trash it
in order to get a run that completes.
However, this means that you will not get the benefits of the good
things that the .aux  file provides; e.g., cross-references cannot work.

To find out what is causing the problem, you'll need to open the .aux
file
in a text editor and look at its contents. If you can tell what is
wrong,
then this goes a long way in determining what part of your LaTeX source
is faulty.

If you cannot tell, then post the .aux to this list, so that others
can help you in that step.

> And if so, why doesn't the TRASH AUX FILES button do the trick?

Hard to know why, or rather "why not".
Probably the file system thinks that it is still open, or somesuch.
Perhaps a consequence of the same error.
In any case, all should be well again once you've found and fixed
the problem within your LaTeX source.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> --

Hope this helps,