[OS X TeX] Exercises

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Fri Apr 17 00:29:01 CEST 2009

To allow more space for the exercise number and section number, you
may wish to change the exercises macro so it reads something like

\newenvironment{exercises}
     {
     \begin{xcb}{}\noindent\textbf{Exercises}
  \settowidth{\leftmargini}{NNNN.\hskip\labelsep}
     \begin{enumerate}
\let\olditem\item
\def\staritem{\let\exerstar\par\olditem }
\renewcommand{\item}{\let\exerstar\empty\olditem }
\renewcommand{\labelenumi}{\ifx\exerstar\empty\else*\fi\thesection.
\theenumi.}
   }
{\end{enumerate}\end{xcb}}

Note that the \settowidth line was moved to just above
\begin{enumerate}.

Michael