[OS X TeX] Sysquake for LaTeX (and TeXShop)

Peter Pagin peter.pagin at philosophy.su.se
Sun Apr 5 08:36:43 CEST 2009

Thanks Herb,
5 apr 2009 kl. 00.52 skrev Herbert Schulz:

> On Apr 4, 2009, at 5:15 PM, Peter Pagin wrote:
>
>> Thanks,
>> but the log says 'entering extended mode', which I thought reports
>> that the shell-escape option has been used, or am I wrong?
>>
>> Peter
>

> Howdy,
>
> No, that message is about using an etex (extended tex) mode which
> extends the number of counters, etc., to capacity of memory. The
> message that says that shell escape is enabled is
>
> \write18 enabled.
>
> and would appear before the extended mode message.

I actually knew this before, but managed to get things mixed up.
Thanks a lot for clearing it up for me.

This brought my attention to the first log line 'unrecognized option --
shell escape--synctex=1'. The option came from the TexShop engine
preferences for pdflatex. I then deleted '--synctex=1', to see what
would happen, and what happened was that the log reported '\write18
enabled' and that Sysquake for LaTeX started working. Absolutely great!

Then I was worried that there is maybe something else wrong with my
installation, since the synctex option doesn't work. I looked through
old mails on the list about synctex=1. This led me to try out some
variations, including putting in a space betwee '--shell escape' and
'--synctex=1'. Now this works as well. Take away the space, and the
problem is back.

Since the preference is, or at one time was, a TeXShop default (I
don't think I had meddled with it before), maybe others have the same
problem.

Many thanks again, to Herb, Michael and Alain.

Best,
Peter

> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Peter Pagin
Professor
Department of Philosophy, Stockholm University
106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
tel: +46-8-162813, fax: +46-8-152226
email: peter.pagin at philosophy.su.se
http://people.su.se/~ppagin/pagineng.htm