[OS X TeX] pdflatex and TL2008

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Sun Sep 21 05:38:53 CEST 2008

On Sep 20, 2008, at 20:24 , Victor Ivrii wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 10:24 PM, Justin C. Walker <justin at mac.com>
> wrote:
>> Thanks, Simon,
>
>> A followup question: Does this explain why trying to update or
>> install
>> 'pdflatex' by name, from several different mirrors, fails?
>
> If pdflatex is missing try to remove and then install it. It may
> happen that tlmgr thinks that it is here and the latest version

Hrm...if it's missing, it's already removed :-}  [just kidding: I know
what you mean].

I started down this path because running TeXShop with the updated
TL2008 failed (can't find /usr/texbin/pdflatex).  I have tried both
the update and install options on tlmgr, and 4 different mirrors, to
no avail.

The answer I suppose is to reinstall TL2008, but I am wondering why it
appears to be missing from the mirrors (it's certainly missing from
the TL2008 "/usr/texbin").

Thanks for any clues you can through my way.

Justin

PS: for the record, here are the items in the TL2008 texbin whose
names contain the strings 'pdf' and 'latex':

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel        11 Sep 20 15:17 bg5+pdflatex ->
gbkpdflatex
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      1222 Aug 12 20:43 bg5pdflatex
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      1223 Aug 12 20:43 cef5pdflatex
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      1222 Aug 12 20:43 cefpdflatex
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      1220 Aug 12 20:43 cefspdflatex
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel         6 Sep 20 15:17 cslatex -> pdftex
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      1222 Aug 12 20:43 gbkpdflatex
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel         6 Sep 20 15:35 mllatex -> pdftex
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel         6 Sep 20 15:17 pdfcslatex -> pdftex
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      1220 Aug 12 20:43 sjispdflatex

Also, I have a log of the tlmgr update run, and 'pdflatex' is nowhere
mentioned.  Go figure (TeXShop was happily producing PDFs until I
updated today).

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
Director