[OS X TeX] your wiki needs you?

Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD joseph.slater at wright.edu
Wed Sep 17 23:28:27 CEST 2008

On Sep 17, 2008, at 5:01 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2008, at 4:25 PM, Dr. Clea F. Rees wrote:
>
>> On Wed 17th Sep, 2008 at 12:43, Maarten Sneep seems to have written:
>>
>>> <snip>
>
> Considering that, once upon a not too distant time, I was in the
> category "starting out with TeX", I absolutely agree with the above
> even though I am pretty sure I had no idea what a "front end" was.
>
> Perhaps something like "integrated systems", in which the editor and
> the viewer work with each other out of the box, e.g. TeXShop +
> Preview, might be useful and you could even have a sub page entitled
> "synchronized systems".

Thus the page 'Getting Started'. I would hope that page would attract
new users and is sufficient to kick start this understanding.

"Integrated systems" would really require octave for me, so.... no
integrated system exists (I do all my plots using octave via gnuplot).
Therein lies the problem. 'Front Ends' doesn't have an alternative
meaning in people's minds, so we can define it (as has been for years)
and put the definition right at the front 'getting started'.

TeXShop + Preview is certainly a combination that could use a page on
it's own. Someone just has to jump in and start writing it up (staying
within the principles of the wiki- see guidelines for editing).

FYI: TeXshop doesn't work out of the box. You have to install a
distribution as well. MacTeX would be the closest thing to working out
of the box, but Fink works out of the box too. It just has a different
installation process than MacTeX.

Joe