[OS X TeX] Acrotex

Jens Noeckel noeckel at uoregon.edu
Wed Sep 17 04:20:11 CEST 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 2:49 PM, cfrees at imapmail.org wrote:

> On Tue 16th Sep, 2008 at 17:28, Victor Ivrii seems to have written:
>
>> TeXLive team does not want to put AcroTeX into TL - and they have a
>> very good reason. It would be nice to have a very precise
>> instructions
>> - which files go where in texmf-local TDS and how to hook up Acrobat
>> (for MacOSX). Also it would be nice to have instructions how to
>> process on computer without Acrobat and then postprocess on computer
>> with Acrobat but without TeX
>
> Having just gone through various pages of info in the process of
> moving
> AcroTeX on the wiki, I understood that AcroTeX does *not* require
> Acrobat. That is, the AcroTeX eDucation Bundle.
>
> Almost all the components of AeB Pro, on the other hand, require
> Acrobat Pro.
>
> The commercial AcroTeX Presentation Bundle also requires Acrobat Pro
> (maybe v 8 or better from memory).
>
> I'm not clear what the commercial @EASE software requires.
>
> Is this not correct? Does AcroTeX itself (i.e. the eDucation Bundle
> which corresponds to acrotex on CTAN) require Acrobat?

Fortunately, AcroTeX doesn't need Acrobat. It allows to insert
document-level JavaScript for interactive features (that's used in
testing answers in quizzes etc.), and that works perfectly well with
Adobe Reader. Neither Preview nor Skim can handle JavaScript, so it's
probably accurate to say that AcroTeX requires Adobe Reader.
I don't know anything about the commercial version...

Jens