[OS X TeX] your wiki needs you?

Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD joseph.slater at wright.edu
Tue Sep 16 17:55:51 CEST 2008

On Sep 15, 2008, at 8:34 PM, Dr. Clea F. Rees wrote:

> I've been doing a little editing of the MacTeX wiki.

This is a very modest statement.

I've been without power/internet at home for 2 days now, and blown
away by the raw number of edits.

> (Whether this is
> an improvement or otherwise is another question.)
>
> In any case, I was wondering if somebody or somebodies might be able
> comment on any of the following:
> * http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/wiki/index.php?title=Talk:Application_Table
> 	* list of applications I cannot find/translate/fathom
> 	* query about handling of deprecated software
> 	* query about deletion from table post-removal
> Note that I have *not* updated the table of applications in any way
> except to note the inclusion or otherwise of software elsewhere on the
> wiki. Updated links and information, if any, are in the software's
> new home.

In my mind the goal should be to delete this page once everything on
it is listed elsewhere (categorized). It's quite a beast. It was
created by me some 7 years ago on my hard drive so I could keep track
of links, and put on the psu tex on mac pages as a courtesy. It just
grew to a monster. Perhaps helpful, but far from ideal.

> * http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/wiki/index.php?title=Talk:TeX_tools
> 	* should ImageMagick be here?

I don't think so. It's not a standard part of TeXLive. I think that's
the clean definition that we should use.

> * http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/wiki/index.php?title=Talk:TeX_Helpers
> 	* this is not my query
> 	* I think the text is mistaken
> 	* anybody?

I thought the text was mistaken when I saw it, but I'm swamped. That
was why I posted that. I was waiting for a knowledgeable person to
respond and fix it. I think it's safe to make the correction to the
text.

> * http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/wiki/index.php?title=Talk:Editors
> 	* questions about how to manage the editor/front end divide
> 	* I think a single link to the front ends page would be less
> 	 confusing and easier to maintain than individual links

I was trying to make the targeted links so people could see the
targeted editor's information.

This divide is a very hard one to manage in a rational fashion. I
don't know that there will be a "perfect" solution, just a tolerable
one.

I wouldn't object to you changing the organization of the page. I've
been happy with what I've seen so far. Great work, and certainly
unrecognized (except by me, who can see that you've made almost 300
changes!)

> 	* a plea for input from users of Alpha
>
> I was also wondering about the distinction between the page on fonts
> and the linked but empty font faq. Is there a font faq? If so, how
> does
> it relate to the fonts page? That is, what sort of things belong on
> each?

We really need a font FAQ. All we need is someone who knows something
about them. I see questions about fonts all the time on this list, but
it doesn't seem anyone has the time to step forward.

With the hurricane hitting my area (I still can't believe it... I'm in
Ohio for goodness sake - and under a state of emergency) I really
haven't even thought about the wiki for quite a few days.