[OS X TeX] problem using /opt/local instead of /usr/local/

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Thu Sep 11 13:50:03 CEST 2008

Le 11 sept. 08 à 13:32, Christopher Brewster a écrit :

> No this does not help.
>
> It still searches /opt/ first.
> There must be a setting somewhere else.
> Changes I make to ~/.profile appear to have no effect on where latex
> is called.
>
> This is causing further frustrations, some style file I am using is
> looking for "fmtcount.sty" which Locate tells me exists in the
> TexLive distribution but not in the MacPorts one.

Not sure the following diagnoses will help, but you may try (in
Terminal):

which kpsewhich
which latex
kpsewhich fmtcount.sty
kpsewhich texmf.cnf
kpsewhich --all texmf.cnf

The first will tell where kpsewhich is found, which is then used by
TeX and friends to find all things TeX-related. The second tells which
latex is used, the third where fmtcount.sty is found.

The fourth and fifth tell which configuration files texmf.cnf are used
(the effect of these files is cumulative). These are the configuration
files which define the locations of the various texmf trees, in which
order they are searched and for which type of TeX component.

Here with MacTeX 2008 and no MacPorts I'm getting:

$ which kpsewhich
/usr/texbin/kpsewhich
$ which latex
/usr/texbin/latex
$ kpsewhich fmtcount.sty
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex/fmtcount/fmtcount.sty
$ kpsewhich texmf.cnf
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf.cnf
$ kpsewhich --all texmf.cnf
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf.cnf
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

Bruno Voisin