[OS X TeX] tlmgr has updates

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 19:27:44 CEST 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 1:08 PM, Gary L. Gray <glgray at me.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Just to try it out, I just ran:
>
> tlmgr update --list
>
> in the Terminal and it returned the following:
>
> loon:~ gray$ tlmgr update --list
> Asana-Math: local: 7340, source: 10427
> ametsoc: local: 7340, source: 10433
> animate: local: 10156, source: 10428
> bin-pdftools: local: 10324, source: 10426
> bin-pdftools.universal-darwin: local: 10023, source: 10426
> bin-tetex: local: 10250, source: 10426
> bin-tetex.universal-darwin: local: 9317, source: 10426
> bin-texdoc: local: 10387, source: 10423
> collection-humanities: local: 10312, source: 10432
> dvips: local: 9300, source: 10420
> fontinst: local: 7340, source: 10426
> gmdoc: local: 10314, source: 10417
> gmutils: local: 10317, source: 10416
> gmverb: local: 10315, source: 10418
> hyperref: local: 10368, source: 10429
> siunitx: local: 10351, source: 10435
> xstring: local: 10365, source: 10434
>
> So, I am thinking to myself, let's see what it thinks will happen if I
> update dvips and I get:
>
> loon:~ gray$ tlmgr update --dry-run dvips
> Installing dvips
>
> It's not too informative on this matter. Has anyone done an:
>
> sudo tlmgr update --all
>
> in the last day or so? If so, did it work without a hitch? Some of the above
> stuff is, I believe, rather vital to a working installation and I am not
> keen to be the first to try this.
>
> Inquiring minds need to know. :-)
>
> All the best,
>  Gary

I did updates few times with

 sudo tlmgr update --all

which allowed me to notice that it not only updates existing packages
but also installs the new packages.

tlmgr team was advised and K.Berry promised to update documentation.

Those who are not brave can use

 sudo tlmgr update --all --dry-run

It will not update installation but feed the inquiring mind :-)

Victor