[OS X TeX] xelatexmk and fontspec

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Sep 7 02:16:21 CEST 2008

On Sep 6, 2008, at 4:41 PM, Sam Cox wrote:

> With the five lines beginning with \usepackage{fontspec} commented,
> my file (attached) processes fine.
> <cv-test.tex>
>
> When they are not commented, the process ends without making pdf
> output.  It gives this message:
>
> Latexmk: Found bibliography file(s) [/Users/samcox/Library/texmf/
> bibtex/bib/unified.bib]
> Latexmk: Found bibliography file(s) [/Users/samcox/Library/texmf/
> bibtex/bib/unified.bib]
> Latexmk: Did not finish processing file: 'pdflatex' did not make 'cv-
> test.pdf'
> Latexmk: Use the -f option to force complete processing.
> Latexmk: Errors, so I did not complete making targets
>

> If I replace the first line with
>
> %!TEX TS-program = pdflatexmk
>
> and the font lines not commented, it does not complete processing,
> giving this error:
>
> (/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/fontspec/fontspec.sty
> (/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/generic/ifxetex/ifxetex.sty)
> !
> * XeTeX is required to compile this document.
> * Sorry!
> ********************************************.
> \RequireXeTeX ...********************************}
>                                                  \endgroup \fi
> l.18 \RequireXeTeX
>
> ?
> Process aborted
>

> I have looked at the archives and documentation for fontspec but
> still cannot make this work.   Any ideas?  I am using TeXLive-2008
> and TeXShop.
>
> Sam

Howdy,

The fontspec package is only for use with xelatex. In the second case
you are trying to use pdflatex to compile that file so fontspec is
complaining.

As far as the first part is concerned, it sounds like there was some
sort of error in the first processing. First try to delete the .aux
file to clean things up and try again. What does the log file produced
by xelatex say?

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)