[OS X TeX] Curious xelatex font problem

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Sun Sep 7 00:49:25 CEST 2008

On 6 Sep 2008, at 11:33 PM, Reinaert Albrecht wrote:

>> What does "locate xdvipdfmx" show?
>>

> It shows the exact same thing in both the working gnu screen and the
> not
> working macosx screen.

I'd expect that, but I wondered exactly *what* it showed -- thinking
it might reveal where stray binaries are lurking. However, the failure
is apparently in xetex itself rather than the output driver.

> Btw: the output i get i macosx screen is:
>
> This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)

This is clearly MacTeX 2007; it's definitely worth upgrading to 2008,
as there have been significant bugs fixed (as well as new features
introduced) in the meantime.

However, that doesn't seem to explain the current problem.

> ! Font \zf at basefont="Baar Metanoia" at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric
> (TFM) file o
> r installed font not found.
> \zf at fontspec ...ntname \zf at suffix " at \f at size pt
>                                                  \unless \ifzf at icu
> \zf at set@...
> l.3 \setmainfont{Baar Metanoia}
>
> ? ^D
> ! Emergency stop.
> \zf at fontspec ...ntname \zf at suffix " at \f at size pt
>                                                  \unless \ifzf at icu
> \zf at set@...
> l.3 \setmainfont{Baar Metanoia}
>
> No pages of output.
> Transcript written on bu.log.
> zsh: exit 1     xelatex bu

This is interesting: you're apparently running zsh as your shell,
which is an unusual choice. I don't know why that would matter, but
could you change your default shell in Terminal to /bin/bash and see
if that makes any difference?

JK