[OS X TeX] Pb with context

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Sat Sep 6 16:52:50 CEST 2008

Le 6 sept. 08 à 15:38, Axel E. Retif a écrit :

> On  6 Sep, 2008, at 07:44, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> On Sep 6, 2008, at 7:38 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> \setupbodyfont[lbr,10pt]
>>> \setupheadertexts[]
>>> \starttext
>>> Hello world.
>>> \showbodyfont[lbr]
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> Oooppppssss... hmmm, wait, I'm seeing Computer Modern, not Lucida!
>>> Sigh...
>>
>> Well, I just tried that file in 2007 and got the SAME result. Maybe
>> the file is wrong?
>
> Skimming the ConTeXt manual, I had prepared exactly the same test
> file (but 12pt instead of 10pt and without \setupheadertexts[]), and
> also got Computer Modern in both TL 2007 and TL 2008. So maybe we
> did a wrong test file.

The following is pure guess, as I've never used ConTeXt myself: if you
look at the ConTeXt ReadMe file

/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/doc/context/document/general/
manuals/mreadme.pdf

it's in Lucida, and its sources seem to be

/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/doc/context/manuals/allkind/
mcommon.tex
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/doc/context/manuals/allkind/
mreadme.tex

the first containing macros and the second the actual readme.

The calls to the Lucida fonts seem to reside in mcommon.tex. Based on
them, I would correct your file to

\usetypescriptfile[type-buy]
\usetypescript[lucida][texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[lucida,10pt]
\setupheadertexts[]
\starttext
Hello world.
\showbodyfont[lbr]
\stoptext

That works apparently better, in that there are calls to specific
metrics such as texnansi-lbr, but that still doesn't work completely,
as this metrics isn't defined and ConTeXt looks for MetaFont sources
which it doesn't find. For Lucida Bright Regular in TeXnANSI encoding
(aka LY1) I've the metrics lbr and hlhr8y defined in my Lucida map
files lucida.map and lucidabr-o.map, while ConTeXt is looking for
texnansi-lbr.

This is confirmed by

/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/type-buy.tex

containing apparently support for commercial fonts and in particular

% Lucida Bright : Biggelow and Holmes

\starttypescript [serif] [lucida] [name]
     \definefontsynonym [Serif]            [LucidaBright]
     \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]        [LucidaBright-Demi]
     \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]      [LucidaBright-Italic]
     \definefontsynonym [SerifSlanted]     [LucidaBright-Oblique]
     \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic]  [LucidaBright-DemiItalic]
     \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldSlanted] [LucidaBright-DemiItalic]
     \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]        [LucidaBrightSmallcaps]
     \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldCaps]    [LucidaBrightSmallcaps-Demi]
\stoptypescript

[...]

\starttypescript [serif] [lucida] [texnansi,ec,8r]
     \definefontsynonym [LucidaBright]               [\typescriptthree-
lbr]   [encoding=\typescriptthree]
     \definefontsynonym [LucidaBright-Demi]          [\typescriptthree-
lbd]   [encoding=\typescriptthree]
     \definefontsynonym [LucidaBright-DemiItalic]    [\typescriptthree-
lbdi]  [encoding=\typescriptthree]
     \definefontsynonym [LucidaBright-Italic]        [\typescriptthree-
lbi]   [encoding=\typescriptthree]
     \definefontsynonym [LucidaBrightSmallcaps]      [\typescriptthree-
lbrsc] [encoding=\typescriptthree]
     \definefontsynonym [LucidaBrightSmallcaps-Demi] [\typescriptthree-
lbdsc] [encoding=\typescriptthree]
     \definefontsynonym [LucidaBright-Oblique]       [\typescriptthree-
lbsl]  [encoding=\typescriptthree]
\stoptypescript

So it seems the syntax is pretty much fixed and requires metrics in
the form texnansi-lbr, ec-lbr or 8r-lbr, none of which is defined in
the Lucida map files that I have (and I can see no such file in
MacTeX-2008).

So I would say the ConTeXt support files for the Lucida fonts are
missing. You can double check, in case you have gwTeX, by looking in
texmf.gwtex at the ConTeXt support files for the gtamacfonts: there
are many of them, and they seem to follow the above pattern.

Going further might be a question for a ConTeXt user mailing list if
any.

Hope this helps (a bit),

Bruno Voisin