[OS X TeX] SyncTeX and Beamer

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Sep 6 14:53:54 CEST 2008

On Sep 6, 2008, at 4:20 AM, Peter Vamos wrote:

> At 16:51 -0600 5/9/08, Peter C. Lichtner wrote:
>> On Sep 5, 2008, at 4:42 PM, Peter Vamos wrote:
>>
>>> Installed MacTeX 2008 10.5.4 on an Intel Mac without a hitch,
>>> thank you Dick and all those involved.
>>>
>>> Was curious to try out SyncTeX. Alas, it doesn't seem to work with
>>> the Beamer class.
>>>
>>> Specifically, it works from the source to the Preview as
>>> advertised but command clicking in Preview will just highlight the
>>> command \end{frame} for the appropriate frame. Switching back to
>>> Search performs as before, and will, (usually) highlight the
>>> relevant input in source.
>>>
>> Works for me! Using the latest version of LaTeX and Beamer 3.07
>> with MacOSX 10.5.4.
>> ...Peter
>
> Strange, same setup, I am using MacTeX 2008 which includes Beamer
> 3.07. It is 2 against 1 at the moment. Are you sure that you are
> using SyncTeX? Do you have the .SyncTex.gz auxiliary file generated
> when you typeset? Correct settings in Preferences -> Misc ->
> SyncTex? Are you testing Priview to source sync? Maybe we need more
> people to try.
>
> Peter

Howdy,

I see the same thing too; it always jumps to the \end{frame}. I
believe this should be reported as a synctex bug but it may be how
beamer encapsulates the frame.

I've also seen cases where there have been synctex and TeXShop error
entries in the System and Console logs; especially if you use tex-
 >(x)dvi->pdf processig via (xe)latex but I have also seen it using
pdflatex. The synctex help (run synctex --help in Terminal) isn't very
helpful but it does mention something about a update option to synctex
that should be run if you use post-processing but using pdflatex
shouldn't run into that.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)