[OS X TeX] MacTeX Status, and ImageMagick

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 03:59:08 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Richard Koch <koch at math.uoregon.edu> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've been looking at specific CTAN sites. Quite a number of them have
> MacTeX-2008. By looking at mirror sites yourself, you should be able to find
> it. If so, go ahead and download. If by tomorrow morning we decide that the
> mirror gets confused between old versions and new ones, we are likely to
> post a list of specific sites on the MacTeX web page.
>
> Let me publicly reply to several messages about ImageMagick in MacTeX. If
> you have ImageMagick from another source, I'd recommend that you continue
> using it and custom install MacTeX to avoid its "convert." Supporting
> ImageMagick was beginning to be complicated; should we install the X11
> version, and if so what do we do with people on 10.3 and 10.4 who didn't
> install X11? Better to leave it to the experts to install a full and
> completely up to date version. Thus I proposed eliminating ImageMagick
> entirely. But I told told that TeX4ht requires "convert" in ImageMagick and
> we want all TeX programs to work right out of the box. So we confirmed that
> TeX4ht only requires "convert," and just installed that.

Yes, TeX4ht requires convert. Further mediawiki with mathematics
relies upon TeX and convert too.

However not everything works out of the box; some scripts like oolatex
are not installed

I think getting out ImageMagick is a good idea; those who do not want
to compile can get binaries from http://www.imagemagick.org

I think Ghostscript should go the same way too

                   Victor