[OS X TeX] Local Switcher and TeXLive2008

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Sep 4 01:16:25 CEST 2008

The short version: Local Switcher doesn't mess around with the System,
instead it installs a symbolic link to the tex distribution in ~, as
well as a link to the man pages. Installation of texlive is also clean
and transparent, since only texlive's installer script, install-tl, is
run with the default options.

The long version: See the link below.

I am not claiming that MacTeX's installation is not transparent, but
to me it is a black box that messes around with the System, which I
don't like. Removing Local Switcher's texlive installation and the
symbolic links is easy: Move the two symbolic links in ~ and /usr/
local/texlive/2008/ to the trash.

Claus