BitTorrent Was: [OS X TeX] MacTeX-2008 Status

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 17:57:35 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Alain Schremmer
<schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2008, at 4:01 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> In any case, I don't like the idea of traffic going through my computer
>> without myself knowing what goes through and where, so I won't be using
>> BitTorrent.

Azureus shows everything and if you don't like the IP you can kick him
out and ban

> Mmm
>
> The question is indeed whether the torrent could infiltrate my computer.
>
> It doesn't seem to be able to. See
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)
>
> And then "not knowing" is also the argument against open source: "When I get
> MS Office, I know where it comes from, when I get  open XXX, I have no
> idea."

With many open source you know the guy who develops it and can contact directly
With MS you know (provided authentication is not broken) that it comes
from MS and that it cannot be good