[OS X TeX] MacTeX-2008 Status

Adam M. Goldstein a.m.goldstein at mac.com
Wed Sep 3 14:50:19 CEST 2008

I am pretty sure that my university's firewalls and net traffic
shaping and monitoring will do the best to squelch bit torrent
traffic, esp. because they don't want the college students using it to
share music and movies with one another.

I am going to wait for the CTAN servers and make sure to use the
multiplexer, although I wish I could contribute to others by using
bitTorrent, esp. because I have a fast connection to the Internet.

Best to all

Adam

On Sep 3, 2008, at 8:45 AM, Victor Ivrii wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 8:40 AM, Alex Ross <alex at rosiba.com> wrote:
>
>> Bittorrent can be quite slow if you are behind a firewall.  Peers
>> attempting
>> to connect to your node will be rejected.  If you can change your
>> firewall,
>> forward bittorrent's port to your machine and it will be much faster.
>

> I do not use BitTorrent client. With Azureus one can see if connection
> is initiated locally or by remote host. If all your connections are
> locally initiated something should be done with firewall.
> In particular, if two machines are behind firewalls without port
> redirections they will never be connected directly
>>

> --

Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
agoldstein at iona.edu
a.m.goldstein at mac.com